A comment or two will be greeted with warm hands.

10 December 2007

1 wish just isn't enough

Everybody has a notion that they are granted at least a wish every year.
Such examples are moments of:
Blowing out candles on a birthday cake.
Holding one's breath for the entirety of a tunnel.
Seeing a shooting star.
Blowing dandelion achenes.

I wonder if there is a 'wish' limit. Wishing for a wish is definitely fine with everyone, but what if someone wish for more than 1 wish? Would the 2nd wish come true? More questionable is, would the 1st wish even come true?

Since its such a popular folklore, let's just assume that the 1st wish will definitely come true. Question is: Is 1 wish enough for you?

These are the unfortunate events where 1 wish is just not enough:
"He wished for growth, but not for a way to control it."
"She wished for a weapon, but not for the skill to wield it."
"He wished for knowledge, but not for the will to apply it."
"He wished for power, but not for the longevity to abuse it."
"She wished for nobility, but not for a nation to honor it."
[quotes from Magic the Gathering]

Sometimes the laws of the world are so mysterious that your wish may go against you!
"I wish that I didn't have to do my nails..." "Granted. I cut your fingers and toes off!"
"I wish I wasn't fat." His wish was granted, and now he's obese.
"I wish I didn't have to go to work"..."Granted. You're fired."
"I wish I had more money"... Money fell from the sky until it crushed him utterly.
"I wish I had a girlfriend"... Wish granted.
[quotes from uncyclopedia]

Sometimes even 3 wishes will get u back to the beginning.
An elderly man was sitting alone on a dark path, right? He wasn't certain of which direction to go, and he'd forgotten both where he was traveling to and who he was. He'd sat down for a moment to rest his weary legs, and suddenly looked up to see an elderly woman before him. She grinned toothlessly and with a cackle, spoke: "Now your *third* wish. What will it be?"
"Third wish?" The man was baffled. "How can it be a third wish if I haven't had a first and second wish?"
"You've had two wishes already," the hag said, "but your second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That's why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes." She cackled at the poor berk. "So it is that you have one wish left."
"All right," said the man, "I don't believe this, but there's no harm in wishing. I wish to know who I am."
"Funny," said the old woman as she granted his wish and disappeared forever. "That was your first wish."

And if you remember the movie 'Bedazzled', 7 wish may not be enough for you!
Moral of the story: "I wish you can tell me a moral."

4 comments:

xniquet said...

Wukakakakkaka "Bedazzled"

remember not to wish to be sophisticated, because in the end you will end up gay ...wukakakakakkaa


i totally dig that show ..:P

Jade Z. said...

hahaha! that's true, x. lol~ hmm... deep post. but i really DO wish you can tell me a moral from THIS story. kakaka!!!

Katherine said...

So philosophical ah~~

3POINT8 said...

[x]
But a wish cannot be blunt also! must be very specific 1!

[jade z.]
Ahaha....That what i wished from u. To learn a moral from u guys

[宝茹]
:P Thanks for the comment!
*feeling proud*